We’ve all had experiences with asthma attacks. We’ve either experienced them or watched someone go through one. Asthma is a lung disease that causes difficulty in breathing. The difficulty in breathing may be as a result of inflamed, narrowed or swelled airways. The condition is then exacerbated by the presence of extra mucus which makes it difficult for one to breathe.
This lung disease presents the following symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing
- The production of high pitched sounds during breathing (Wheezing)
- Patients suffering from asthma display an increased production of sputum
- Severe coughing – this is a common occurrence especially when experiencing an asthma attack
- The asthma patient will experience pressure on the chest area (chest tightness)
As asthma is a chronic disease, quality medication and treatment is needed. Advantage Physical Therapy understands this and has put in place structures for the physiotherapy treatment of asthma. Our highly qualified team of physical therapists at Advantage Physical Therapy will help you balance the right medication and physical therapy.
The following is a breakdown of the major techniques our physical therapists in Kalamazoo, MI will use to ensure successful treatment.
- Breathing exercises – our therapist will take you through breathing exercises which will stop or reduce breathing abnormalities. These exercises will also help your body improve air redistribution to the lungs and maximize the oxygenation process.
- Posture – one of our physical therapists in Kalamazoo, MI will help you get familiar with body position suitable for an asthma attack. The tripod position is most suitable for an asthma attack. This is because the position has benefits such as relieving breathing difficulties and expanding the chest area. This helps in air redistribution.
The above-mentioned techniques make up an effective treatment package that is sure to help you fight asthma. While the cause of the disease is yet to be determined, it has a host of triggers. These triggers include pollen, irritants such as smoke, common cold etc. asthma patients are advised to avoid these triggers at all costs. Visit our offices in Kalamazoo, MI for more information.