Most of us take tasks such as walking for granted in our lives. We do not realize that there are people who go about their daily activities with difficulty in walking. The physical therapy at Advantage Physical Therapy in Portage, MI program is designed to help such individuals overcome their problems with movement.
Causes of Walking Difficulty
As physical therapists in Portage, MI explain, difficulty in walking can be a result of several factors. These include:
- Knee complications, for instance, the herniated disc
- Trauma from an accident or fall
- Stiff joints
- Weak muscles
- Inner ear problems
These are just a few examples of factors that could contribute to difficulty in movement. When you have a hard time walking, consult a physical therapy specialist. During a visit to physical therapists at Advantage Physical Therapy in Portage, MI, they will take you through a series of motions and exercises to test your pain levels, range of motion as well as your walking pattern. They will then design a program to help you deal with the problem.
Use of Physical Therapy for Effective Treatment of Gait Problems
For the successful treatment of walking difficulty, physical therapists in Portage, MI will take you various exercises. These exercises will be geared toward:
- Improving balance and coordination: exercises such as standing on your toes with our hands outstretched will help you maintain equilibrium and lessen your fear of falling.
- Improving range of motion: stretching routines improve your gait by allowing you to take regularly-sized strides
- Strengthening legs: strengthening your legs is one of the best prevention methods for trauma such as sprains which result in difficulty walking. An example of a leg-strengthening exercise used in physical therapy is squats.
With enough exercise, an individual should overcome walking difficulty in a few weeks or months.
Enroll in the physical therapy at Advantage Physical Therapy in Portage, MI and solve your walking problems today!